- System: Circulatory
- System Name: The Circulatory System
- Location: Throughout the body via blood vessels
- Purpose: Transport blood cells, oxygen and nutrients
- Organs: Heart, lungs and blood vessels (arteries, capillaries and veins)
15 Circulatory System Facts for Kids
- The circulatory system is a human biological system that helps circulates blood throughout the body.
- The circulatory system is also known as the vascular system or the cardiovascular system.
- The circulatory system is what transport oxygen and nutrients to tissue all throughout the body.
- The circulatory system has two main components, the systemic circulation and pulmonary circulation.
- The systemic circulation is the process of oxygen-rich blood flowing from the heart and deoxygenated blood flowing back to into the heart.
- The pulmonary circulation is the process of deoxygenated blood flowing from the heart into the lungs and oxygen-rich blood flowing from the lungs back into the heart.
- If you laid out all the blood vessels in circulatory system into a straight line, it would be around 60,000 miles in length. In theory, you have enough blood vessels in your body to wrap around the Earth 2.5 times.
- An average adult human has between 10 and 12 pints of blood flowing through their circulatory system.
- There are five different types of blood vessels that make up the human circulatory system, and they are the arteries, arterioles, capillaries, venules and veins.
- The arteries carry oxygenated blood from the heart to other parts of the human body.
- The arterioles control the speed at which blood flows throughout the body, also known as blood pressure.
- The capillaries control the distribution of blood to tissue and help transport deoxygenated blood to the venules.
- The venules help transport deoxygenated blood from the capillaries and feed it into the veins.
- The veins carry deoxygenated blood back to the heart.
- The lungs play an important role in the circulatory system which is known as pulmonary circulation. The lungs bring in deoxygenated blood from the heart and return oxygen-rich blood back to the heart. They also release carbon dioxide from the blood through expiration (exhaling).
Pictures of the Circulatory System
A diagram showing the all of the different types of blood vessels in the human circulatory system.
Credit: Fact Monster
A diagram showing the arteries and veins of the human body, red is oxygenated, blood is deoxygenated.
Credit: Purpose Games
A diagram made exclusively for kids that shows different parts of the human circulatory system.
Credit: Vectors by Vecteezy
Additional Resources on the Human Circulatory System
- How the Human Circulatory System Works – Learn how the human circulatory system works on the National Institutes of Health website.
- Human Circulatory System Diagram – A wonderful diagram of the human circulatory system by Live Science.
- Circulatory System Diseases – View some of the many diseases and disorders that can affect the human circulatory system.
- Circulatory System – Wikipedia – Discover more information and facts about the circulatory system on the Wikipedia website.