Nervous System Facts for Kids
- System Name: The nervous system
- System Purpose: Send signals from one part of the body to another
- System Location: Throughout the human body
- System Organs: Brain, spinal cord and many different nerves
- System TA ID: A14.0.00.000
- System FMA ID: 7157
20 Nervous System Facts for Kids
- The human nervous system is a complex system of nerves and neurons connected throughout the human body.
- The nerves and neurons work together to send signals to and from different parts of the human body.
- These signals are used to act or react to a conscious thought or sensory input.
- The human nervous system main components are the brain, spinal cord and nerves.
- There are different parts of the human nervous system, the central nervous system and the peripheral nervous system.
- The brain and the spinal cord are the primary organs of the central nervous system.
- The nerves and ganglia are the primary components of the peripheral nervous system.
- The two types of cells in the human nervous system are neurons and glial cells.
- The main task of neuron cells is to communicate with other via synapses.
- Synapses is the communication using both electrical and chemical signals via membrane junctions.
- The main task of glial cells is to deliver nutrition to the nervous system, help maintain homeostatic, create myelin and help with the transmission of signals.
- There are 12 pairs of cranial nerves in the human nervous system.
- The cranial nerves are connected directly to the brain.
- There are 31 pairs of spinal nerves in the human body.
- The 31 pairs of spinal nerves are divided into five different groups.
- Of the 31 pairs of spinal nerves, twelve are thoracic nerves, eight are cervical nerves, five are lumbar nerves, five are sacral nerves and one is coccygeal nerves.
- There are estimates that claim there are around 90,000 miles of sensory pathways in the human body.
- Nervous system diseases, disorders and malfunctions can be caused by a wide variety of things. Trauma, genetic defects, infections and aging are some of the things that can cause failures.
- The study of diseases and disorders of the human nervous system is called neurology.
- Someone who investigates, diagnoses and treats diseases and disorders of the nervous system is called a neurologist.
Nervous System Pictures
A diagram showing the structure of a human nerve cell.
Credit: Topper Learning
A 3D model of the upper part of the human nervous system.
A 3D illustration of the human nervous system.
Additional Resources on the Human Nervous System
- Facts and Functions of the Nervous System – Learn about the human nervous system on the LiveScience website.
- Parts of the Nervous System – Discover all the different parts of the human nervous system on the National Institute of Health website.
- The Nervous System for Kids – Find more nervous system facts for kids on the University of Washington website.
- Human Nervous System Outline – View an outline of the human nervous system on the Wikipedia website.