- System Name: The muscular system
- System Purpose: Movement, support, involuntary actions and more
- System Location: Throughout the human body
- System Organs: Skeletal, cardiac and smooth muscles
- System TA ID: A04.0.00.000
- System FMA ID: 72954
21 Muscular System Facts for Kids
- The muscular system is an organ system found throughout the human body.
- The muscular system enables movement, like walking, running, jumping and picking up a box.
- The muscular system supports blood circulation throughout the human body.
- The human muscular system, along with the skeletal system, make up the human musculoskeletal system.
- The human muscular system contains both voluntary muscles and involuntary muscles.
- A voluntary muscle is one you can control, like using your arms to pick up a box.
- An involuntary muscle is one you cannot control, like your heart beating to pump blood throughout your body.
- The human muscular system is made up of three different types of muscles.
- The three different types of muscles are cardiac muscles, skeletal muscles and smooth muscles.
- Cardiac muscles are involuntary muscles found in the human heart.
- Cardiac muscles are the main tissue that encase the human heart.
- Skeletal muscles are voluntary muscles that allow you to move and support your posture.
- The human body has around 640 skeletal muscles.
- Smooth muscles are involuntary muscles found in organs, like the intestines or the stomach.
- Smooth muscles are common in the digestive tract, urinary tract and in blood vessels.
- The largest muscle in the muscular system is found in the human buttock, it’s the gluteus maximus.
- The smallest muscle in the muscular system is found in the human ear, it’s the stapedius.
- One of the strongest, if not the strongest muscles of the muscular system is the masseters muscles in the human jaw.
- The most active muscle in the muscular system is the heart. It pumps blood 24 hours day, never gets tired and can beat over 3 billion times in lifetime.
- The least used muscle in the muscular system is in the lower back, it’s the lumbar multifidus.
- Muscular dystrophy is a group of diseases that cause weakness and a continuous loss of muscle mass.
Muscular System Pictures
A diagram of all the different human muscles.
Credit: Weight Lifting Complete
A diagram of the muscles in the human arms.
A diagram of the muscles in the human legs.
Additional Resources on the Human Muscular System
- Types of Muscle Tissue – Learn about the different types of muscle tissue on the MedlinePlus website.
- Structure of Skeletal Muscles – Discover skeletal muscles and their structure on the National Cancer Institute website.
- Muscle – Britannica – Learn more about muscles and their purpose on the Britannica website.
- List of Skeletal Muscles – Wikipedia – View a list of all the skeletal muscles in the human body on the Wikipedia website.