- Planet Name: Earth
- Type of Planet: Terrestrial planet
- Solar System Region: Inner Solar System
- Distance from the Sun: 91,000,000 miles (perihelion) to 94,500,000 miles (aphelion)
- Time to Orbit Around the Sun: 1 Earth year (365.256 days)
- Moons (natural satellites): 1
- Total Surface Area: 196,940,000 square miles
17 Earth Facts for Kids
- The planet Earth formed about 4.5 billion years ago.
- The planet Earth is the third closest planet to the Sun.
- Earth is a terrestrial planet.
- Earth is the fifth largest planet in our Solar System.
- The radius of the planet Earth is 3,959 miles.
- Earth’s perihelion (closest) distance to the Sun is 91 million miles.
- Earth’s aphelion (farthest) distance to the Sun is 94.5 million miles.
- Light from our Solar System’s Sun takes only eight minutes to reach Earth.
- It takes Earth one year (365.256 days) to complete an orbit around the sun.
- The Earth has one moon (natural satellite).
- The Earth’s moon is over 238 thousand miles away.
- Earth’s shape is an oval-shaped ellipse.
- The planet Earth has no rings.
- Earth has four main layers. The curst, mantle, outer core and inner core.
- The atmosphere of Earth contains nitrogen (78%), oxygen (21%), and the last 1% is made up of argon, carbon dioxide and neon.
- Earth is the only planet in our Solar System known to harbor life now or in the past.
- About 70% of the Earth’s surface is covered with water, however only 3% of it is fresh water.
Pictures of the Planet Earth
Additional Resources on the Planet Earth
- Planet Earth: Facts About Its Orbit, Atmosphere & Size – Find more Earth facts for kids on the Space.com website.
- Overview | Earth – NASA Solar System Exploration – Learn more about the planet Earth on the NASA website.
- 10 Interesting Facts About Earth – Explore ten interesting facts about Earth on the Universe Today website.