- Moon Name: Pandora
- Designation: Saturn XVII
- Date Discovered: October in 1980
- Discovered by: S. A. Collins and D. Carlson (Voyager 1)
- Average Orbit of Saturn: 88,060 miles
- Total Mass: 152,644,722,857,861 tons
- Surface Area: 8,037.12 square miles
11 Pandora Facts for Kids
- Pandora is one of Saturn’s 82 known moons (natural satellites).
- Pandora is named after the first woman created by Hephaestus in Greek mythology.
- Pandora is also designated as Saturn XVII.
- Pandora was discovered in October 1980 by S. A. Collins and D. Carlson using photographs taken by Voyager 1.
- The average orbit distance for Pandora is 88,060 mi.
- The diameter of the moon Pandora is 50.58 mi.
- The surface area of the moon Pandora is 8,037.12 mi 2.
- The mass of the moon Pandora is estimated to be over 152 trillion tons.
- The surface gravity on Pandora is estimated to be 0.02 ft/s2.
- It takes Pandora about 15 hours to complete an orbit around Saturn.
- Pandora has been photographed by two spacecrafts, Voyager 2 and Cassini.
Pictures of Saturn’s Moon Pandora
Additional Resources on Saturn’s Moon Pandora
- In Depth View of Pandora – Discover Saturn’s moon Pandora on the NASA Science Solar System Exploration website.
- Pandora Moon Data – Compare the moon Pandora and our planet Earth on the NASA Science Solar System Exploration website.
- Pandora Moon Pictures – View photos of the moon Pandora taken my NASA spacecrafts on the JPL Photojournal website.
- Pandora (Moon) – Wikipedia – Learn more about the Saturn’s moon Pandora on the Wikipedia website.