- Species Type: Velociraptor mongoliensis
- Type of Dinosaur: Theropod
- Period: Cretaceous
- Diet: Meat (carnivorous)
- Life Span: Unknown
- Length: Up to 6.8 feet
- Weight: Between 33 to 43 pounds
14 Velociraptor Facts for Kids
- The Velociraptor was discovered in 1923, by Peter Kaisen in Outer Mongolian Gobi Desert.
- The name Velociraptor means: “Quick Plunderer” or “Rapid Robber”.
- The name Velociraptor is pronounced: “veh-loss-ih-RAP-tor”.
- The Velociraptor is commonly called a raptor.
- The Velociraptor was part of a group of dinosaurs known as theropod.
- The Velociraptor was a theropod that belonged to dromaeosaurid family.
- They lived during the Upper Cretaceous period about 71 to 75 million years ago.
- Estimates put the weight of a Velociraptor between 33 and 43 pounds.
- Estimates put the length of a Velociraptor up to 6.8 feet.
- Estimates put the top running speed of a Velociraptor up to 40 miles per hour.
- The Velociraptor was a carnivorous predator who ate meat.
- The most famous Velociraptor fossil is GIN 100/25. It’s called the “Fighting Dinosaurs” fossil because it’s fossilized remains of a Velociraptor and Protoceratops engaged in battle.
- Paleontologists think the Velociraptor may have had feathers like other dromaeosaurids.
- Velociraptors were depicted in the 1990 novel Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton and its 1993 film adapation named the same.
Additional Resources on Velociraptors
- Wikipedia – Velociraptor mongoliensis – Learn more about the Brachiosaurus altithorax on Wikipedia.
- Velociraptor @ London Natural History Museum – Find more facts about the Velociraptor on the London Natural History Museum website.
- Velociraptor @ Science Views – A perfect site for kids wanting to learn about the Velociraptors.
- This Is How Jurassic World’s Velociraptors Should Have Looked – Learn about how a Velociraptor should look like, and it’s not what you see in the movies!