- Era Name: Mesozosic Era
- Known as: Age of Reptiles and Age of Conifers
- Eon: Phanerozoic
- Major Periods: Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous
- Range of Periods: 186 million years
- Succeeded Era: Cenozoic
- Preceded Era: Paleozonic
16 Mesozoic Era Facts for Kids
- The Mesozoic Era is a geological time period that lasted around 186 million years.
- The Mesozoic Era is also called the Age of Reptiles and the Age of Conifers.
- The Mesozoic Era is the geological time period when dinosaurs dominated the planet.
- The Mesozoic Era starts with the evolution of dinosaurs and ultimately ends with their extinction.
- There are three geological periods that make up the Mesozoic Era, and they are the Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous periods.
- The Triassic Period of the Mesozoic Era lasted 50.6 million years (251.902 to 201.3 million years ago).
- The Jurassic Period of the Mesozoic Era lasted 56 million years (201.3 to 145 million years ago).
- The Cretaceous Period of the Mesozoic Era lasted 79 million years (145 to 66 million years ago).
- The three geological periods of the Mesozoic Era are further divided into different epochs and stages.
- The Mesozoic Era was started after the Permian-Triassic extinction event. The Permian-Triassic extinction event was the largest extinction event in Earth’s history. Over 90% of marine species and 70% of land vertebrates became extinct.
- The Mesozoic Era ended after the Cretaceous-Paleogene (K-Pg) extinction event. The Cretaceous-Paleogene (K-Pg) extinction event caused the extinction of the dinosaurs and paved the way for mammals to dominate the planet.
- The era before the Mesozoic Era was the Paleozoic Era.
- The era after the Mesozoic Era was the Cenozoic Era.
- The Mesozoic Era is one of the three eras in the Phanerozoic Eon, and the Phanerozoic Eon is one of four eons on the geological timescale of the planet Earth.
- In 1840, British geologist John Phillips proposed the name Mesozoic. The word Mesozoic is derived from the Greek language and means middle life.
- In the 19th Century, paleontologist Gideon Mantell coined the phrase Age of Reptiles.
Mesozoic Era Pictures
An artist’s depiction of the Triassic Period, during the Mesozoic Era.
Credit: Oxford Scientific
An artist’s depiction of the Jurassic Period, during the Mesozoic Era.
Credit: Lucas Atwell
An artist’s depiction of the Cretaceous Period, during the Mesozoic Era.
Credit: Publiphoto / Photo Researchers, Inc
Additional Resources on the Mesozoic Era
- The Mesozoic Era – Learn more about the Mesozoic Era on the Berkeley website.
- Mesozoic Era – Enchanted Learning – Find more interesting Mesozoic Era facts on the Enchanted Learning website.
- Mesozoic – Wikipedia – Discover more awesome things about the Mesozoic Era on the Wikipedia website.