Types of Dinosaurs
This web page contains information on the different types of dinosaurs and is an excellent resource for anyone researching dinosaurs. Our goal is to provide you with accurate, up to date facts about the different types of dinosaurs. We also provide addition resources to help you with your research on the different types of dinosaurs.
The below facts will help you learn what are the different types of dinosaurs, some famous dinosaurs that belong to each dinosaur type, when these types of dinosaurs lived, what these types of dinosaurs ate and other facts about the different types of dinosaurs.
If any of the below car facts are inaccurate, please contact us and let us know.
23 Types of Dinosaurs Facts for Kids
- There are thousands of different types of dinosaur species that have been found worldwide.
- Paleontologists classify the different types of dinosaur into different orders and groups.
- At a high level, all the different types of dinosaurs are classified into one of two orders.
- The two orders that a dinosaur can be classified under is Saurischia or Ornithischia.
- Dinosaurs with lizard-like hips are placed in the Saurischia order.
- Dinosaurs with bird-like hips are placed in the Ornithischia order.
- The Saurischia order has two different suborders, Theropoda and Sauropodomorpha.
- Theropoda dinosaurs, commonly called Theropods, were carnivorous types of dinosaurs.
- A few types of Theropod dinosaurs include the Allosaurus, Tyrannosaurus rex and Velociraptor.
- The heaviest known Theropod was the Spinosaurus aegyptiacus with an estimated weight of up to 132 tons.
- The longest known Theropod was the Spinosaurus aegyptiacus with an estimated length of up to 157 feet.
- Sauropodomorpha dinosaurs, commonly called Sauropods, were herbivorous types of dinosaurs.
- A few types of Sauropod dinosaurs include the Argentinosaurus, Brachiosaurus and Diplodocus.
- The heaviest known Sauropod was the Maraapunisaurus fragillimus with an estimated weight of up to 132 tons.
- The longest known Sauropod was the Barosaurus lentus with an estimated length of up to 157 feet.
- The lightest known Sauropod was the Blikanasaurus cromptoni with an estimated weight of only 0.28 tons.
- The shortest known Sauropod was the Ohmdenosaurus liasicus with an estimated length as little as 13 feet.
- The Ornithischia order has two major groups, Cerapoda and Thyreophora.
- The Cerapoda group contains the type of dinosaurs that had that were quick footed and frilled heads.
- An example of Cerapoda type dinosaurs includes Parasaurolophus and Triceratops.
- The Thyreophora group contains the type of dinosaurs that were armored all around.
- An example of Thyreophora type dinosaurs includes the Ankylosaurus and Stegosaurus.
- No matter what type of dinosaur it is, it’s under the Dinosauria clade, which all dinosaurs fall under.
Pictures of Different Types of Dinosaurs
Learn More About the Different Types of Dinosaurs
- What Makes a Dinosaur a Dinosaur? – Learn how an extinct animal is classified as a dinosaur on the Smithsonian website.
- Ornithischia Dinosaurs – Discover what a Ornithischia dinosaur is and some of the species on the Wikipeida website.
- Sauropoda Dinosaurs – Discover what a Sauropoda dinosaur is and some of the species on the Wikipeida website.
- Theropoda Dinosaurs – Discover what a Theropoda dinosaur is and some of the species on the Wikipeida website.