Jurassic Period Facts
- Period Name: Jurassic
- Era: Mesozosic
- Period Span: 56 million years
- Succeeded Period: Cretaceous
- Preceded Period: Triassic
- Example of Dinosaurs: Stegosaurus and Allosaurus
18 Jurassic Period Facts
- The Jurassic Period is the second of the three geologic periods of the Mesozoic Era.
- The Jurassic Period was the second longest period of the Mesozoic Era.
- The Jurassic Period lasted roughly 56 million years.
- The Jurassic Period occurred between 201.3 and 145 million years ago.
- The Jurassic Period had three epochs, the Early Jurassic, the Middle Jurassic and the Late Jurassic.
- The Early Jurassic Period was roughly between 200 and 175 million years ago.
- The Middle Jurassic Period was roughly between 175 and 163 million years ago.
- The Late Jurassic Period was roughly between 163 and 145 million years ago.
- The Jurassic Period started after the Triassic–Jurassic extinction event.
- The Jurassic Period is when dinosaurs became the dominate lifeform on the planet Earth.
- There were two extinct events during the Jurassic Period, the Pliensbachian-Toarcian extinction in the Early Jurassic epoch and the Tithonian event in the Late Jurassic epoch.
- The supercontinent Pangaea broke up during the Jurassic Period.
- The climate of the Jurassic Period was warm, humid and there was most likely no ice in the polar regions.
- The Archaeopteryx was the earliest known bird that appeared in the Late Jurassic Period.
- The Late Jurassic Period is famous for the rise of sauropod dinosaurs. Sauropods had a very long neck and tail, a small head compared to their body and four thick legs.
- The Jurassic Period hosted some of the largest dinosaurs to ever roam the planet, like the Brachiosaurus.
- Some of the dinosaurs that lived during the Jurassic Period were the Allosaurus, Archaeopteryx, Brachiosaurus, Diplodocus, and the Stegosaurus.
- The term Jurassic was coined by French naturalist Alexandre Brongniart in 1829.
Dinosaurs Pictures from the Jurassic Period
A photo of a Stegosaurus fossil, a dinosaur that lived during the Late Jurassic Period.
Credit: Natural History Museum
A photo of a Allosaurus fossil, a dinosaur that lived during the Late Jurassic Period.
Credit: San Diego Natural History Museum
A photo of a Diplodocus fossil, a dinosaur that lived during the Late Jurassic Period.
Credit: Colin Mearns
Additional Resources on the Jurassic Period
- Jurassic Period Facts – Discover some cool Jurassic period facts on the Live Science website.
- Jurassic Period Information and Facts – Explore the National Geographic website to learn more about the Jurassic period.
- Jurassic – Wikipedia – Find more information about thje Jurassic period and the dinosaurs from it on the Wikipedia website.