Victoria Falls Facts
- Waterfall Name: Victoria Falls
- Type of Waterfall: Cataract Waterfall
- Waterfall Height: 355 Feet
- Total Drops: 2
- Location: Zambia and Zimbabwe, Africa
- GPS Cordinates: 17°55’28″S 25°51’24″E
19 Victoria Falls Facts for Kids
- Victoria Falls is a waterfall in both Zambia and Zimbabwe in Southern Africa.
- Victoria Falls is most well-known for being one of the widest waterfalls in the world.
- Victoria Falls is a cataract type of waterfall. A cataract is a very powerful waterfall.
- Victoria Falls is part of the watercourse for the Zambezi River.
- It’s estimated that Victoria Falls started to form around 20,000 years ago.
- It’s estimated humans first started to settle near Victoria Falls during the Early Stone Age.
- The first European to discover Victoria Falls was Scottish pioneer David Livingstone in 1855.
- The widest point of the Victoria Falls waterfall is 5,604 feet.
- The highest point of the Victoria Falls waterfall is 355 feet.
- Victoria Falls has two different water drops.
- The water flow rate at Victoria Falls is 38,340 cubic feet per second.
- Victoria Falls is the divider between the Upper Zambezi River and the Middle/Lower Zambezi River.
- Currently there are 123 known species of fish living in the Zambezi River and the Victoria Falls waterfall is a natural barrier that separates them from the upper and lower part of the Zambezi River.
- 84 of the 123 fish species are found above the Victoria Falls in the Upper Zambezi River.
- 39 of the 123 fish species are found below the Victoria Falls in the Middle/Lower Zambezi River.
- Zambia and Zimbabwe both protect their portion of the Victoria Falls with national parks.
- On the Zambia side, Victoria Falls is protected by the Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park.
- On the Zimbabwe side, Victoria Falls is protected by the Victoria Falls National Park.
- In 1989, the Victoria Falls waterfall was designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Pictures of Victoria Falls Waterfall
A picture of the edge of Victoria Falls waterfall.
A picture of a path along Victoria Falls waterfall.
A picture looking up at Victoria Falls waterfall.
Additional Resources on the Victoria Falls Waterfall
- About Victoria Falls – Learn about the Victoria Falls waterfall on the Zambia Tourism website.
- Facts About Victoria Falls – Discover more awesome facts about Victoria Falls on the Natural Habitat website.
- Virtual Tour of Victoria Falls – Visit Victoria Falls from the comfort of your home with this virtual tour from Tamuka Travel.
- Victoria Falls – Wikipedia – Explore the Wikipedia entry for Victoria Falls to learn more about this waterfall.