Indian Ocean Facts
- Ocean Name: Indian Ocean
- Location: Between Southern Asia and Africa, Australia
- Average Depth: 12,273 feet
- Total Surface Area: 27.2 million mi2
- Total Coastline: 41,337 miles
- Total Volume of Water: 63.3 million mi3
19 Indian Ocean Facts for Kids
- The Indian Ocean is one of the world’s five oceans.
- The Indian Ocean is between southern Asia, Africa and Australia.
- The total volume of the Indian Ocean is 63.3 million mi3 of water.
- The Indian Ocean contains 19.8% of all the world’s ocean water.
- The Indian Ocean is the third largest of all five oceans.
- The total surface area of the Indian Ocean is 27.2 million mi2.
- The average depth of the Indian Ocean is 12,273 feet.
- The deepest part of the Indian Ocean is 23,596 feet in the Java Trench.
- The Indian Ocean is the third deepest ocean in the world.
- The total coastline of the Indian Ocean is 41,337 miles.
- The Indian Ocean has the third most coastline out of the five major oceans.
- The range of temperature for the Indian Ocean is between 66 and 82 °F.
- The Indian Ocean is the warmest of the five major oceans.
- The warmer temperatures of the Indian Ocean cause it to have a higher rate of evaporation.
- The natural resources found in the Indian Ocean include oil, gas, fish and various minerals.
- There are only two known trenches in the Indian Ocean, the Java Trench and the Makran Trench.
- There are four critical waterways in the Indian Ocean, and they are the Bab el Mandeb (Djibouti-Yemen), Strait of Hormuz (Iran-Oman), Strait of Malacca (Indonesia-Malaysia) and the Suez Canal (Egypt).
- The Indian Ocean was the epic center of the 2004 Sumatra–Andaman earthquake, which was the event that created the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami and killed over 220,000 people.
- Allied and Axis navies fought several naval battles in the Indian Ocean during World War 2.
Pictures of the Indian Ocean
A picture of the Mnemba Atoll in the Indian Ocean.
A picture of Mauritius Island in the Indian Ocean.
A picture of part of the shoreline of the Indian Ocean.
Additional Resources on the Indian Ocean
- Indian Ocean – The World Factbook – Find more facts about the Indian Ocean on the CIA World Factbook website.
- Facts About the Indian Ocean – Discover some awesome facts about the Indian Ocean on the Facts Legend website.
- Maps of the Indian Ocean – View maps of the Indian Ocean on the University of Texas website.
- Indian Ocean – Britannica – Explore the Britannica website to learn more about the Indian Ocean.