Lake Huron Facts
- Lake Name: Lake Huron
- Average Depth: 195 feet
- Maximum Depth: 748 feet
- Elevation: 577 feet
- Surface Area: 23,000 mi2
- Water Volume: 850 mi3
20 Lake Huron Facts for Kids
- Lake Huron is one of the five freshwater Great Lakes of North America.
- Lake Huron is one of the largest freshwater bodies of water in the world.
- The shoreline of Lake Huron borders Michigan (U.S. State) and the Canadian province of Ontario.
- The most populated city along Lake Erie is Sarnia, Ontario, Canada.
- Lake Huron contains about 850 cubic miles of water.
- Lake Huron is the third largest of the five Great Lakes by water volume.
- Lake Huron is the eighth largest lake in the world by water volume.
- The surface of Lake Huron covers 23,000 square miles.
- Lake Huron is the second largest of the five Great Lakes by surface area.
- Lake Erie is the fourth largest lake in the world by surface area.
- The average depth of Lake Huron is 195 feet and the deepest part is 748 feet.
- Lake Huron is the second shallowest of the five Great Lakes.
- Lake Huron is at an average elevation of 195 feet above sea level.
- In 1986, the water level of Lake Huron reached a historic high of 5.92 feet above its water datum.
- In 1964, the water level of Lake Huron reached a historic low of 1.38 feet below its water datum.
- The Lake Huron beach Wasaga Beach is the longest freshwater beach in the world at 8.6 miles in length.
- The introduction of invasive species, like zebra mussels and round gobies, as damaged fish populations.
- Lake trout were a big source of commercial fishing in Lake Huron until invasive species, overfishing and pollution caused their populations to decline.
- Lake Huron is the site of more than 1,000 shipwrecks, with more than 10% of these wrecks in the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary and Underwater Preserve.
- The deadliest natural disaster to occur on the Great Lakes was the Great Lakes Storm of 1913. In less than 17 hours the storm sunk 10 ships, drove 20 ashore and killed 235 sailors on Lake Huron.
Pictures of Lake Huron
A picture of Lake Huron and a city skyline.
A picture of a beach along Lake Huron.
A picture of a scenic view of Lake Huron.
Additional Resources on Lake Huron
- About Lake Huron (Great Lake) – Discover more facts and information about Lake Huron on the U.S. EPA website.
- Facts and History of Lake Huron – Learn about the history of Lake Huron on the Huron County Parks website.
- Map of Lake Huron – View a map of Lake Huron on the Google Maps weibsite.
- Lake Huron – Britannica – Explore the Britannica website to learn more about Lake Huron.