- Kingdom: Animalia
- Phylum: Arthropoda
- Class: Insecta
- Order: Blattodea
- Family: Ectobiidae
- Genus: Blattella
- Species: Blattella germanica
14 German Cockroach Facts for Kids
- The German cockroach is a common species of cockroach.
- The binomial name for the German cockroach is Blattella germanica.
- A German cockroach has coloring between tan to almost back, with two parallel dark streaks that run from the pronotum to the base of the wings.
- The German cockroach does have wings, but are very poor at flying, they can glide when threatened.
- German cockroaches are nocturnal by nature, but in a structure with a very dense population its possible to see them during the day.
- The average size of a German cockroach is between 0.43 and 0.63 inches.
- The average lifespan of a German cockroach is between 100 and 200 days.
- The average span between egg and adulthood for a German cockroach is between 50 and 60 days.
- The German cockroach is an omnivore, and they scavenge for food and will eat just about anything that is edible.
- German cockroaches will turn to cannibalism in conditions where food becomes scarce or non-existent.
- A German cockroach will release an awful smelling order if it’s threatened or gets excited.
- The German cockroach is the worst domestic pest of all cockroach species.
- The German cockroach can breed and produce offspring faster than any other common cockroach pest. This allows them to populate manmade structures rapidly.
- The German cockroach has become resistance to some insecticides, making it harder to eradicate an infestation.
German Cockroach Pictures
Additional Resources with German Cockroach Facts
- How to Control German Cockroaches – Learn what the German cockroach is and how to control them on the Pest World website.
- German Cockroach Lifecycle – View photos of the entire life cycle of the German cockroach.
- German Cockroach – Find more information and facts about the German cockroach on the Wikipedia website.