Paint Lady Butterfly Facts
- Kingdom: Animalia
- Phylum: Arthropoda
- Class: Insecta
- Order: Lepidoptera
- Family: Nymphalidae
- Subfamily: Nymphalinae
- Genus: Vanessa
15 Paint Lady Butterfly Facts for Kids
- The painted lady is a species of butterfly that is a member of the genus Vanessa.
- The binomial name for the painted lady butterfly is Vanessa cardui.
- Painted lady butterflies are also called cosmopolitan or thistle butterflies.
- All species of painted lady butterflies are orange, black and brown with white spots.
- There are other species of butterflies that are considered paint ladies, a few are American painted lady (Vanessa virginiensis), Australian painted lady (Vanessa kershawi) and West Coast lady (Vanessa annabella).
- Painted lady butterflies can be found on five of the seven continents, except for South America and Antarctica.
- The painted lady butterfly has four stages in its lifecycle, and those states are egg, larva, pupa and adult.
- All species of painted lady butterflies go through a process called metamorphosis, which is when a painted lady caterpillar creates a chrysalis and emerges as an adult butterfly.
- The average wingspan of an adult painted lady butterfly is two inches.
- The average lifespan of an adult painted lady butterfly is around two weeks.
- An adult painted lady butterfly can fly up to 30 miles per hour, and that allows them to travel up to 100 niles in a day.
- The painted lady (Vanessa cardui) is one of the most widespread species of butterflies in the world.
- The American painted lady (Vanessa virginiensis) is native to North American.
- The Australian painted lady (Vanessa kershawi) is native to Australia and New Zealand.
- The West Coast lady (Vanessa annabella) is native to the western United States and southwestern Canada.
Paint Lady Butterfly Pictures
A picture of a painted lady butterfly caterpillar (larva).
Credit: Butterfly Conservation
A close-up picture of a painted lady butterfly.
Credit: Jim Kalisch
A diagram of the life cycle of a painted lady butterfly.
Additional Resources for Paint Lady Butterfly Facts
- Painted Lady Butterfly (Vanessa cardui) – Explore the BioKIDS website to learn more awesome facts about the painted lady butterfly.
- Painted Lady – Wikipedia – Find more information and facts about the painted lady butterfly on the Wikipedia website.
- Growing and Caring for a Painted Lady – Grow and care for your own painted lady butterflies.