This web page contains car facts for kids and is an excellent resource for anyone of any age looking to learn about automobiles. Our goal is to provide you with accurate, up to date facts about cars. In addition to facts about cars, we provide additional resources to help you with your research on these types of vehicles.
The car facts below will help you learn about who invented the first car, how a car works, the different types of cars, how cars changed human society and other car related facts. We hope these car facts are interesting and help you learn more about this revolutionary invention.
If any of the below car facts are inaccurate, please contact us and let us know.
25 Car Facts for Kids
- A car is a motorized vehicle on four wheels designed to be driven on paved roads.
- A car is also known as an automobile, or simply an auto.
- German engine designer and automotive engineer Karl Benz is credited with the creation of the modern car. Benz received a patent for his Benz Patent-Motorwagen in 1886 in Germany.
- Henry Ford and the Ford Motor Company are credited with the creation of the first affordable car, the Ford Model T. They created the affordable Ford Model T through assembly line production and efficient fabrication.
- Henry Ford and the Ford Motor Company sold over 16.5 million Ford Model T cars.
- As of 2019, the Ford Model T is the ninth best selling car of all time.
- Most cars on the road, today either use an internal combustion engine or an electric engine.
- Cars with internal combustion engines run on gasoline or diesel.
- As of 2019, General Motors was the leading automobile manufacturer for gasoline powered cars.
- Cars with electric engines run on stored energy from internal rechargeable batteries.
- As of 2019, Tesla was the leading automobile manufacture of electric powered cars.
- In 2019, automakers sold over 17 million vehicles in the United States.
- In 2019, automakers sold over 15.8 million vehicles to countries in the European Union.
- In 2019, automakers solder over 25 million vehicles to China.
- Consumers can buy a car either new or used.
- A new car will have less than 100 miles and be a model from the current or previous calendar year.
- A used car will have various number of miles and can be from any year in the past.
- Consumers who buy a car, used or new, will usually need to take out an auto loan.
- An auto loan is a financial product where you make monthly payments to the bank who lent the money.
- An auto loan can last between 12 months and 72 months, each month requires a monthly payment.
- An auto loan will have an interest rate between 0% and in cases of bad credit over 20%.
- A high interest rate auto loan can be very expensive and dramatically increase a monthly car payment.
- Someone with good credit could get an auto loan with a 3% interest rate. If they borrowed $25,000 over 60 months their monthly payment would be $449 a month and the total cost of the loan would be $26,953.
- Someone with bad credit could get an auto loan with a 10% interest rate. If they borrowed $25,000 over 60 months their monthly payment would be $531 a month and the total cost of the loan would be $31,871.
- Based on the two examples above, someone with bad credit will pay $82 more a month and $4,918 more than someone with good credit for the same car.
Additional Resources About Cars
- The Early Cars – Discover the cars that were made during the dawn of the invention of the car
- The Different Types of Cars – Learn about the different types and styles of cars on the JD Powers website.
- Pros and Cons of Self Driving Cars – Explore the Havard University website to learn about the pros, cons and risks of self driving cars.
- Car – Wikipedia – Read more about cars and their history on the Wikipedia website.