Milky Way Galaxy Facts
- Name: Milky Way Galaxy
- Type of Galaxy: Spiral Galaxy
- Estimated Size: Between 150 and 200 light-years (diameter)
- Estimated Stars: Between 100 and 400 billion stars
- Distance to Galactic Center: ± 26.4 kilolight-years
- Location of Earth: In the Orion Arm
- Satellite Galaxies: 59
13 Milky Way Galaxy Facts for Kids
- Milky Way is a spiral galaxy in our universe.
- The Milky Way Galaxy has an estimated diameter between 150 and 200 light-years.
- The Milky Way is the galaxy that contains our Solar System, the home of our planet Earth.
- The Milky Way Galaxy is estimated to have a diameter between 150 and 200 light-years.
- Our planet Earth is estimated to be 26.4 kilolight-years from the Milky Way’s galactic center.
- Astronomers estimate our Milky Way Galaxy has between 100 and 400 billion stars.
- Astronomers estimate our Milky Way galaxy has at least 100 billion planets.
- Astronomers estimate the mass of the Milky Way to be 1.5 trillion solar masses.
- The center of the Milky Way Galaxy contains a supermassive black hole.
- The Milky Way Galaxy is a member of the Local Group. The Local Group is a member of the Virgo Supercluster.
- The Milky Way Galaxy is the only known galaxy to have a planet where life has evolved.
- The Milky Way Galaxy and Andromeda Galaxy will collide with each other in about 4.5 billion years and form a new elliptical or lenticular galaxy.
- Prior to the 1920s, astronomers thought the Milky Way Galaxy contained all the stars in our universe.
Milky Way Galaxy Pictures
A map of the Milky Way Galaxy showing where the planet Earth is located.
Credit: Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
A beautiful picture of the bright band of the Milky Way Galaxy in Wyoming.
Credit: Babak Tafreshi / Nat Geo
An infrared photo of the center of the Milk Way Galaxy by Spitzer Space Telescope.
Credit: NASA / JPL-Caltech / Susan Stolovy
Additional Resources with Milky Way Galaxy Facts
- Milky Way Galaxy: Our Galactic Home – Find more Milk Way Galaxy facts on the Space.com website.
- Milky Way Galaxy – Britannica – Discover more awesome things about the Milky Way Galaxy on the Britannica website.
- Milky Way – Wikipedia – Learn about the Milky Way galaxy on the Wikipedia website.