Heart Disease Facts
- Disease Group: Heart Disease
- Disease Official Name: Cardiovascular disease (CVD)
- Total Types of Heart Disease: 14+
- Risk Factors: Genetics, Lack of Activity and Bad Dietary Habits
- Treatment Methods: Medication, Dietary Changes and Surgery
- Prevention Methods: Healthy Diet and Exercise
22 Heart Disease Facts for Kids
- Heart disease is a group of diseases that affect the heart.
- Heart disease is a subgroup of cardiovascular disease (CVD).
- Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States.
- Heart disease is the leading cause of death worldwide according to the World Health Organization.
- It’s estimated that one in four deaths annually in the United States are related to heart disease.
- There are several different risk factors that can determine a person’s chance of developing heart disease.
- Some risk factors for heart disease can’t be controlled, like your age, gender or genetics.
- As you get older, each decade of your life triples the chance of developing heart disease.
- Men are more likely to develop heart disease than women.
- If your parents had heart disease, you’re three times more likely to development heart disease yourself.
- Some risk factors for heart disease can be controlled, like your diet and healthy habits.
- Diets that consist in high amounts of fats and salt are considered risk factors for developing heart disease.
- A lack of physical activity and obesity are considered risk factors for developing heart disease.
- Tobacco usage and excessive alcohol intake are considered risk factors for developing heart disease.
- There are many different cardiovascular diseases that affect the heart.
- A heart attack occurs when coronary artery diseases causes blood flow to decrease or stop to the heart.
- Congenital heart defect occurs at birth with a defect in the structure of the great vessels or the heart.
- Congestive heart failure occurs when your heart can’t pump blood sufficiently through your body.
- Heart arrhythmia occurs when your heartbeat rhythm is too slow, too fast or irregular.
- Hypertensive heart disease occurs when your blood pressure is remains elevated, this is commonly known as high blood pressure.
- Pulmonary heart disease occurs when the right ventricle of the heart enlarges and then fails due to something related to the respiratory system, like acute respiratory distress syndrome or COPD.
- Valvular heart disease occurs when one or more of the four values of the heart start to fail.
Pictures Related to Heart Disease
An illustration of a heart artery that is blocked.
An illustration comparing clean and blocked arteries.
An illustration of blood cells blocked in a heart artery.
Additional Resources on Heart Disease
- Heart Disease Basics – Learn about the basics of heart disease on the American Heart Association website.
- Types of Heart Disease – Discover the different types of heart disease on the Medline Plus website.
- Heart Disease Treatments – Find the different types of treatments for heart disease on the Honor Health website.
- Heart Disease – Wikipedia – Read more about heart disease on the Wikipedia website.